Sunday, May 23, 2010

Movie Muse


When I first arrived in Perth, I wondered why Thinlay and Gopi wanted to watch Bollywood movies when Australia had so much to offer in terms of Hollywood and Australian made movies. Now, I muse at the answers that I have discovered.
I think it is easier for us to connect with the Indian sense, sensibilities, humour and language that prevail in the region. I don’t remember when did I start to watch Hindi movies. I think the best way to put it is that I grew up with it. Indian cultures have permeated into most of us; occasionally I try to fight it and I fail because I can’t resist the new releases with Sharukh Khan in them. Being away for a while, every time a new Hindi movie is released in Australia, I am tempted to watch it and I watch it. It offers me a momentary comfort of being closer to home. I have not been able to visit most part of India (except for few major cities), but I have subconsciously assumed that I have known India and Indians well.
Bhutan and India being the close and best of neighbours in the South Asia have fared well in all fields among the nations of the region. I assume that it is not only the across the boarder reason, other factors like the cultural influence, the economic ties, historical inter-dependence, and social interactions among the people on everyday basis have made these two countries so much closer than their geographical boundaries.
Bollywood movies are famously known for songs, dances and awfully lengthy stories and scenes and these ingredients have also become a way of telling a story in the Bhutanese films. One time there were speculations that Bhutanese film industry might be named some thing like “Sandalwood”. My friend has started a Facebook page calling it “Bhutan Films” and generally it is referred as Bhutanese Film Industry (let’s call it Rose, lol). I think the industry itself has not become anything important at this stage to give it a name and fame (or people who are responsible to name it might have the same reason, or maybe it is not that important to name it). As I have come to think of it, the Industry cannot, should not be ignored. It will be a strong medium for the future generations to connect and respond. The Bhutanese films are slowly influencing the young generations. Let’s leave it to them by what name they would want to call it, or someone could intervene to recognise the importance of film industry and its role for today and tomorrow.
I don’t remember taking my daughters to watch Bhutanese movies, but they know the songs from most of the movies. How did they learn it? They like to sing and dance, dress up like actors and actresses. Like wise, when I was growing, it was once in a blue moon that I went to watch Hindi movies with my parents in Norgay and Mig cinema hall. But, I remember watching most of the movies; I managed some how. It was only at the later part of my life, I started watching Hollywood movies starting from Chaya video hall in Jaigoan. The difference between these two exposures, it was hard to connect with Hollywood movies, even though they were more appealing than the other. I had whole lot of things to learn about the western world to truly appreciate everything depicted in the movie. Bollywood was easier and after some time it was boring because I could predict an ending during the movie. Hollywood offered a new riddle.
Hollywood movies are great source of entertainment. It offers better understanding of American culture, complex sense of humour, music, and futuristic, thought provoking dilemma. I still find it hard to fully connect with everything in the movie. Some times it was hard to find a clue of how the movie ended and irrespective of whether or not it made sense, I watched many of the movies.
I found out when I visited a video rental in Perth that I had missed many of the Hollywood movies released in the past, I had a good list of popular movies that I could recall looking at the names and faces of actors and actresses.  But I could not get to experience what was portrayed in the movie in a real time that could be a reason why Hollywood messages cannot seep beyond the surface of my senses while Bollywood has a special place within my sense and sensibilities.
Considering my experience, I feel that Bhutanese film industry would be a many more experiences of the people who are growing with it- idolising their favourite actor and actress, singing and dancing to the rhythm of the music, and tuning one’s fantasy from scenes left open for interpretation. I could not believe that most of the Bhutanese students have laptop-copy of majority of the Bhutanese films to be watched and exchanged during their stay in a place far away from home. How did they get those copies? (That would be another interest topic to ponder). The important thing is Bhutanese film Industry has started making a connection with its viewers. The bond, in my belief, would depend on the dedication of the people in the industry to continually engage their viewers with fresh stories and entertainment ideas.
With the introduction of cable Television and entertainment channels flooding through it from India and elsewhere in the world, there are varieties of source available for cultural and like influences, but the encouraging part of the history-in-the-making is the existence of Bhutanese films and other related participation in the process. Unlike in the past, it was all Bollywood.
I think it all sums up when we think of a time when Dasho Tshering Wangda mesmerised the crowd in the Clock Tower with the song “Aankh Hai Bhari Bhari Aur Tum Mushkurane ki Baat Kartay Ho” from the movie TUM SE ACHCHA KAUN HAIN. Bollywood has become global and for someone like me it is still local.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Ashok
    I really liked your post. A good canvass, comparison and reflection. Movies are reflections of society at a given time. I enjoyed reading your views here. Keep writing.

    wishes and love
    vijay

    ReplyDelete